Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Change

Today I decided to write a little about change.

Change is not one of my favorite things at all! So of
course.....I've had to adjust to lots of changes over the past few
years. Isn't that the way it usually is?! The thing you don't like
is what you get to deal with : )

Something got me thinking about this yesterday actually.

Because we're usually on tour, finishing up the work from a tour and
then prepping for another tour, I don't really have much free time to
do things that are just for fun. I realized this fall that I haven't
been home in the fall since 2002.

So I decided to go to a cooking demonstration by a baker from New York
that was being held at one of the William Sonoma stores near me. I
love those stores by the way. I had a great time. After that I went to
the Macy's store in the mall that I was at.

I'm sure that you have a Macy's near you. When we tour, I've noticed
how many local department stores across the country were bought up by
Macy's. Even in Hawaii this is the case.
For us the store was Marshall Fields. When this happened there was so
much disappointment across the area because Marshall Fields was the
place of so many happy family memories for generations particularly at
Christmas. People were up in arms and wanted to boycott which many did.

As it turns out, most of us don't really like change. Some more loudly
than others.

So, I went to Macy's for a quick lunch. As I sat eating my lunch, I
looked around and noticed how much had changed. Some for the better
and some not. I have to admit that there was a bit of sadness in my
thoughts as I remembered so many happy family holidays that were spent
there when it was Marshall Fields. But it's inevitable.....change
comes.... like it or not.

Our lives change for so many reasons. Sometimes the reasons are not of
our choosing. Sometimes it's change as the result of our taking a risk
and reaching towards something we want.

But all change includes a bit of apprehension. Some more than others.
When change comes without our consent, it can turn our world upside
down. I have experienced this kind of change a few times in my life
and it's been anything but fun.

I believe that sometimes these unwanted changes are given to teach us
something. Or perhaps to warn us about something that needs to change
in our lives. I do not believe that they are with no purpose.
And..... if we can gather all of our strength and move ahead, having
learned the lessons that are there for us......the next kind of change
comes.

The kind where we take the risk and reach for something that we
want ....and that's a new life! A better life free of the problems
that were holding us back.

The tough part is getting strong enough to take the risk. Some days it
feels like an impossible task.

Sometimes we just want to curl back up into our old lives and have
things the way they were before this unwanted change was thrust upon
us. I have succeeded at doing this. I say succeeded loosely because
the truth is, if we are able to curl back up into the "comfort"
zone.....we are just prolonging the time that it will take to get to
our new and better life.

It's a rough and painful ride but a better day is coming and that's a
guarantee. I know that there are times that breathing is all that we
have the strength to do and that's all we need to do.

It won't be long before your strength will become evident, a little at
a time and as I mentioned the other day we need to reach for the new
and good.

Change is the open door that we go through to find the amazing life we
are meant to live. That's why it feels so scary. Because it's so
different than what we've settled with.

So, take those shaky steps forward through that door and once you
cross that threshold........you'll be amazed with all that's been
waiting for you on the other side. Things that we can't even imagine
right now. Wow.....
Let's do it together!

No comments:

Post a Comment